Adam has severe quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy which was caused by him being starved of oxygen at birth. His condition effects all the muscle tone in his body which results in him having no use of his legs, he has no control of his arms and although he moves them they are not purposeful. He is also visually impaired and can’t take any food orally so is fed buy a tube directly into his stomach. The brain damage also means he has epilepsy which is thankfully kept under control by medication.
Adam has had many operations in his short life, including:
- Fundoplication, this involved wrapping the top part of his stomach around the lower part of his oesophagus to tighten the valve. This was done to stop his severe reflux.
- Gastrostomy, a tube inserted through the abdomen, his food is passed through this directly to the stomach.
- Tendon releases, had tendons in his legs, ankles and groin cut to decrease tension in the muscle and stop the onset of Spasticity. After the procedure he was in a broomstick cast for 5 weeks. Has had this operation 3 times.
- Botox in his salivary glands to stop him drooling.
- Salivary gland clipping, a permanent solution to help with his drool.
- Bronchoscopy, an examination of his airways & lungs with a small camera and samples taken from deep inside his lungs.
Adam is on numerous medicines, these include:
- Sodium Valporate
To aid Adam he also has various specialist equipment, including:
- Bug pediatric wheelchair
- Bee feeding chair
- Special needs adjustable bed
- Flocare feeding pump
Adam loves comments so please leave one, it’s very simple to do!! At the bottom right of each post is a small comments link, click that and you’ll be able to add a comment. It may not appear instantly as I have to OK it first.
As I am not very efficient at updating Adam’s Blog you can now subscribe using your email address and you will be sent an email whenever a new post is published. Just enter your email in the box on the sidebar and click subscribe.